- About Miri
- News & Events
- (Blog) Eyes on Miri
- News & Events Archive
- H1N1 Influenza Posters & Information
- What's New?
- 20th EAROPH World Congress & Mayors' Caucus
- Borneo Yachting Challenge
- HFMD updates
- Miri International Jazz Festival
- The Baram Regatta
- Citizens of Miri
- History of Miri
Miri's First Onshore Discovery of Oil in 24 Years
Submitted by eyeonmiri on Fri, 2013-01-18 15:46. :: Eyes on Miri | Environment | News & Events | Special interests
Oil and gas has been discovered at the Adong Kecil West-1 Well, 20km northeast of Miri town.
The well was drilled by JX Nippon Oil & Gas Exploration (Onshore Sarawak) Ltd, to a depth of 3,170 meter together with joint venture partner Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd.
This was the first onshore discovery after 24 years. The last onshore discovery was Asam Paya Field in 1989, also in Sarawak.
In December 1910, the first oil production was at Miri's First Oil Well known as the Grand Old Lady on top of Canada Hill. The Grand Old Lady produced oil until interrupted by World War II. In that time, it had produced more than 563,484 barrels and was still producing 10 barrels per day at the time. The Grand Old Lady was still managing to produce 3 barrels of oil a day and when it was stopped, and had produced over 650,000 barrels of oil.