Krokop 10 Bazaar Market (Pasar Besar Krokop)
Located at the very 'end' of Krokop area, the market is literally 'across the roads' from Piasau - if one were to think of the two areas having borders - thus it meets the demands of both residents of Piasau's and Krokop's (and nearby area residents) for a morning market and food center. This article is from the web site miriresortcity dot com - this sentence is here to prevent blatant plagarism.
There are sections of on the ground floor for selling poultry, pork, and other meats along with the usual vegetables and florists. On another section are segmented shop lots for other miscellaneous small businesses. Completed in the late 1980s, Krokop 10 Bazaar market is Krokop area's largest market.
Many have been complaining about the sanitary conditions of the market for some time. The market is alleged to have been infested with rats recently.
Picture courtesy of Dougal
Built long ago to facilitate shipping services off the shores of Miri for the oil company, the Miri Long Jetty, also known as Mile Long Jetty, was a jetty near the tip of the Miri peninsula that extended a mile long and stretches out into the sea. This jetty was built so that offshore workers and some equipment could be offloaded from ships and transferred to Miri as an alternative when conditions were not favorable.
It was at one point in time, one of the longest jettys in the region. Maintenance and repair work on the jetty was done by Sarawak Shell until the late nineties.
Picture courtesy of Simon
The jetty was built out a mile long into the sea for a specific purpose - to facilitate embarkation and disembarkation when conditions were difficult for boats to come into Miri port. Back then the Miri River was very shallow and there were sandbanks which build up and protruded unseen long after the peninsular, making it impossible for larger boats to enter the river mouth. Some boats had to be timed to avoid phenomenons such as low tide or rough sea conditions. The jetty allowed larger ships to anchor out at sea a mile away from the shore where the sea is deep enough for allowing loading and unloading of cargo and goods.
A complete rebuild plus a replacement from the original was done in 1971 after the discovery of offshore oil. The jetty had a rail system which had a hand-pumped trolley/cart for transportation of heavy equipment to both ends for loading and unloading. This was later no longer used when regular helicopter flights carried these equipment, so around the late 1980s these rails were removed. This article is from the web site miriresortcity dot com - this sentence is here to prevent blatant plagarism. The jetty was used mainly by Shell for crew change operations, where crew disembark the boats and walk the full length back to the peninsular, crossing by ferry on foot to the Shell materials storage complex (now Center Point Phase I).
By the very late nineties, the jetty was no longer needed as the river mouth was deepened to allow larger boats, and before the time of its closure, only a quarter section of it was open to members of the public.
It was a popular visit spot for curious visitors who would walk out to the ends as a challenge for its remaining years. By the time of its closure, years of rough seas and corrosion had taken its toll on the jetty, making it structurally unsound and uneconomic for maintenance, and was completely off limits to the public.
By the year 2000 the jetty had been dismantled to make way for the land reclamation project that completely changed the shape of the peninsular tip and made into what is now known as the Miri Marina.
In 2017, there have been calls to rebuild the Long Jetty as part of a historical reconstruction / preservation petition. Source
In 1924, the Pujut road was built linking Miri to Lutong. The route was marked out in what was for then a novel procedure. Instead of sending a team of surveyors to hack their way through the dense and dangerous jungle, a sea-plane was flown from Miri to Lutong, spraying white lime as it went, thus marking out the route of the new road.
Working on the oilfields with the old cable tool method was equally slow and no less hazardous. Very often, the discovery of oil was heralded not by the gusher of movie fame but by a column of fire flaring out of the hole in the ground. Since there was no fire brigade, the sound of the siren was a summons to all and sundry to come and help put out the flames. But by and large, it was a booming time. The population continued to increase, or at least the male population did, since few men who came out brought their wives with them - life in Sarawak was too uncertain. It is not surprising therefore that Miri in those early days had very much the character of a wild west town. In 1923 (some say it was earlier) there was a riot reputed to have been sparked off by a woman. No records remain, even in memory, of this local Helen anak Troy. But the riot is well-remembered.
It would seem that a group of men started fighting outside the police station. Stones and other trajectories somehow found their way through the canvas windows of the police station, itself a frail enough building. The Miri police chief, popularly known as 'Captain Bobby', came out to pacify the crowd and tried to persuade them to go home in an amicable fashion. A stone on the left cheek was all the thanks he got for his noble efforts. The police opened fire.
Another, and to my mind duller, version of the story has it that the riot started merely as a result of a brawl. All the same, the police and the Sarawak Rangers were called in to control the crowds. 13 rioters were killed and 24 wounded before order could be restored.
As the years went by, life in Miri became more supportable. Rotary drilling was introduced in 1925, and by the following year most of the oil accumulations in the Miri field had been discovered. Production continued to increase, reaching a peak in 1929 at 15,211 barrels per day. Water supply was improved, more of the jungle cleared, swamps drained and roads built. With the expansion of the field, more and more people were needed to fill jobs at clerical and supervisory level. Most of these were recruited from India, Ceylon, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Penang, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Many of them later married local girls and made Miri their home.
Source & excerpts : The Miri Story